Thursday, January 11, 2007

Results vs. Process


"No one can deny the fact that life in the world is one continual struggle. The one who does not know the struggle of life is either an immature soul, or a soul who has risen above the life of this world. The object of a human being in this world is to attain to the perfection of humanity, and therefore it is necessary that man should go through what we call the struggle of life." Hazrat Inayat Khan

Wouldn't it be nice if our lives had the musical cues that television dramas and movies have? You hear the ominous music and instantly know that you should not go into that room because there is a slasher in there. Or that gooey music plays and you know you are about to have a really cool love affair. Wouldn't it be great to have indicative background music that saves you all the trouble that life can bring? All you would have to do is listen for the music to know what the moment meant. That would be so much easier. You always know when watching a TV program exactly what is going on from the music. Gosh, I want some background music in my life.

On the other hand, the characters in the dramas never seem to listen to the music so maybe it wouldn't work.

I have been thinking a lot lately about results vs. process. As was noted in my last blog - friendship is the most important aspect of being a spiritual person. And that is process not result. A result is when you put an engine back together and it runs. Process is learning how to do it and getting better and better at it.

Once you learn to listen to the still small voice within, which does take some concentration, you actually do begin to hear the music of life.

I am very curious to know if those who read this blog have similar thoughts or feel much different. If you have ideas about results vs. process I would like to hear.

Love & Blessings, Musawwir

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our civilization doesn't allow to live a process, you have to provide results.
We are all thinking in terms of goals and how to achieve them
If you have the goal to make a mio $ the struggle doesn't count, only the fact if you make a mio or not in the end. Hmmmmmmm... not really my thought!
I think it is very good to have clear goals but the way to reach them is more important than the goal itself. If I stick to the 1 mio $ sample you need to learn so many skills on the way there that the process is much more valuable than the 1 mio $. If you can go all the way you'll gain much more t han just one million dollars.

Za'ida

Anonymous said...

I think if you focus on the process, the results will follow...Listening to that little voice is indeed crucial...believing in it more so...And paying attention is paramount...Sabura

Anonymous said...

Not necessarily, Sabura! Results come from goals which are quantifiable.

Za'ida

Anonymous said...

Of course goals are quantifiable Za'ida, and results are very important....but if you have a goal in mind, I believe it is better to focus on the how to attain it, rather than simply on what it is you wish to attain...that is the process...If I simply focused on the being I wish to become and avoided the hard work necessary to the development of that being, I would find the journey more difficult and less enjoyable than I do by appreciating the incremental steps I am taking towards my goal. And I may never attain my goal, that too is a real possibility...but that does not mean that the process is not important regardless of the outcome....Smiles...Sabura

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmm... it depends on the goal. If it is big enough to remain visible behind all advercities and hindrences you can keep it in mind and focus on the way there. But if your goal (I must pay this damn bill) is too small to create substential growth then you must concentrate on attaining it. What I mean is having a vision of your life.

Regards
Za'ida

Anonymous said...

Ah, I understand...smiles and hugs...Sabura

Anonymous said...

I enjoy process is so much better than results. Next weekend friend Janet and I hope to bike from center city to Manyunk and back. Where is the joy? Not in the finish, but along the way.
Last weekend I finally took down the Santa Claus and bowed-garland and hung paintings and weavings in their place. The process is so satisfying, trying this one here and that one there, creating balance with just enough dysonance for interest. Now that it's done I barely notice it.
In a few days my order should arrive from Park seeds. I'm really looking forward to the next six weeks - waiting for the seedlings to emerge and nurturing them to lusty transplants.
Soul-in-process-Sarala